Heartsy Quilt Pattern and a Free Block

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

I couldn’t let the beginning of 2022 slip by without making one of my favorite things to sew…a new heart quilt!

So many people have asked me how to make a version of Brightly or Pumpkin Patches with hearts…so I worked on making this Heartsy quilt.

It’s hands down the cutest quilt I’ve made in 2022.  ;)

Heartly Quilt Pattern

If you already own Brightly or Pumpkin Patches, I wrote out free instructions to make the heart block that you can substitute for the stars and pumpkins in those patterns.  Click below or here for the free block pattern!

Heartsy Heart Free Block Pattern (click here)

If you don’t already own one of those patterns, or you prefer full instructions just for this quilt, I wrote out a full pattern for Heartsy you can find here or at the link below.

Heartsy Heart Full Quilt PDF Pattern

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

This block would even make a cute quilt on it’s own!

I chose the colors in this quilt out of that tiny 30’s floral print, mostly using near solids because it’s all I had on hand.  The blocks sew up fast using Diagonal Seam Tape (here’s a video of me using it to make a heart block).

Heartly Quilt Pattern

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

Wouldn’t this be a cute memory quilt made with a pieces of clothing or special fabrics?  Or a signature quilt where people can sign their names in the larger squares.   Lots of possibilities with this one!

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

I quilted this one myself, and it had been awhile since I’d done free motion quilting on a large quilt like this.  My shoulders were sore!   There are a few wonky spots in the middle when smooshing the big quilt through my machine got a little tricky.

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

The full Heartsy pattern can be found here as a PDF, or here as Paper pattern.

The free Heartsy heart block pattern if you don’t need the full pattern, can be found here

If you just want a heart block in multiple sizes, I have a free pattern for that here, or a simple heart quilt tutorial here  (I told you I love making heart quilts!).

Heartsy Quilt Pattern

I’ll round up the links to my favorite heart projects in another post.  It’s the one block I’ve definitely made and posted more than any other!

23 Responses to Heartsy Quilt Pattern and a Free Block

1. Rhonda Collier January 18, 2022 at 5:02 am #

Thank you for sharing the Heartsy Heart block option for those who already own the Brightly pattern, which is going to be my next project.

• Allison January 18, 2022 at 8:08 am #

You are welcome! I hope it will be a fun project for you!

2. RaeLyn January 18, 2022 at 6:45 am #

Super cute, I love all these hearts! I agree, cutest 2022 quilt yet!

3. Debbie Lee January 18, 2022 at 8:34 am #

You are the best!! I have 3 granddaughters and have made 2 of them a Valentine quilt. I have been thinking about what to do for the youngest…This is it!! And I have the Brightly pattern!! Love it!

• Allison January 18, 2022 at 11:23 am #

This would be so cute for her! And it’s easy…win win! :)

4. Rosemary B January 18, 2022 at 8:40 am #

Allison, you are a doll. This heart block is so sweet. I love the pattern too.
    Your free motion quilting is quite exceptional. I have not practiced and I am sure it would be rather disappointing. I should try though, some times we surprise ourselves lol
    Happy Tuesday

• Allison January 18, 2022 at 11:24 am #

You should try it! Just practice, and you can’t think too much about it and where to “move the fabric” next…if I think about it too much it ends up looking jagged. I think you’d enjoy free motion quilting!

5. Sandy K January 18, 2022 at 9:43 am #

Thank you so much for the free heart block to go in Brightly. Brightly is one of my favorite patterns and I’m actually just joining a SAL with it now. Ready to start cutting fabric!

• Allison January 18, 2022 at 11:24 am #

I hope you’ll enjoy making it!

6. amyusmart January 18, 2022 at 12:13 pm #

SO cute, Allison! Another heart quilt winner. And I love the palette!

7. Anita Cheeks January 18, 2022 at 6:34 pm #

I love these hearts!

8. Colleen Rayner January 19, 2022 at 5:40 am #

Thank – you for the add on for your Brightly pattern – which I have but haven’t made yet. I was also reminded of your 4 heart mini quilt that I haven’t made yet either… I better get on that ! Another quilt name knocked out of the park too ;)

9. Susan chance January 21, 2022 at 2:02 pm #

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the diagonal seam tape!!!!!

• Allison January 26, 2022 at 8:46 pm #

I’m so glad you like it!

10. Jackie Mignault January 23, 2022 at 9:45 am #

I just love this pattern. Not only is it a happy design, but easy to cut and put together. It will work with a variety of fabrics. Thank you so much for sharing!

11. Karen VR February 11, 2022 at 6:09 pm #

This is just so cute! I had just come to the blog from your e-mail about the pumpkin quilt that is a brother to this sweet heart quilt. The pumpkin quilt is so cute I had saved it in my e-mail so I didn’t forget to go back to it next year. This one is just darling too1

12. Michele @crayonboxquiltstudio.com February 15, 2022 at 6:56 am #

It’s such a pretty quilt and I love the colors you used.

13. Nomi March 4, 2022 at 3:58 pm #

Hey, i might have missed it, but what fabric is this? Super super adorable, btw!

14. Cathy Luff March 9, 2022 at 9:30 am #

Thank you so much! I began by purchasing the paper copy of the Heartsy pattern when it was on sale at Quilt in a Day. Then I found the Star version on your website and purchased the PDF. I’m going to make a combo of hearts and stars in pastels. Then I misplaced the Heartsy pattern! Now you have graciously provided the hearts so I can stop looking and start sewing. Thanks again!!

15. basketbros April 20, 2022 at 12:21 am #

Thank you a lot! I started by purchasing a paper copy of the Heartsy pattern from Quilt in a Day when it was on sale. Then I went to your website and bought the PDF of the Star version. In pastels, I’m planning to make a combination of hearts and stars. After that, I couldn’t find the Heartsy pattern! Now that you’ve kindly donated the hearts, I can finally stop looking and start stitching. Thank you once more!!